Thursday, July 30, 2015

HEALTHY NUDGE - HOW I CONQUERED PRE-DIABETES



HEALTHY NUDGE: CONQUER PRE-DIABETES

How I turned my high blood-glucose frown upside down. (This is one where you should consult your physician to make sure you're doing it right for yourself, okay?  Your body is different than mine.  Take no chances with your health, my friend.)

I found out a few months ago that my (fasting) Blood Glucose level of 120 mg/dL, placed me in the pre-diabetic range, meaning I was at risk for becoming diabetic. 

Turning that scary number around became my primary mission in life.

The numbers.  Got myself a blood glucose monitor, and designated Fridays 'Goodbye to High Blood Sugar Day.'  On that day each week I tested four times a day, shooting for numbers in the normal range:

Fasting Number: (no food for 8 hours) 70-99 mg/dL
After Meal Number: (2 hours after eating) 100-110 mg/dL
Pre-Meal Number: 80-120 mg/dL 
Bedtime Number: 100-140 mg/dL. 

The dreaded Fasting number, which had previously been 120 mg/dL most concerned me.  Once I implemented my changes, the numbers started looking better and as of yesterday were: 

Fasting: 92 mg/dL
After breakfast 96 mg/dL
After lunch 104 mg/dL
At bedtime, 134 mg/dL 

Whew!  My efforts paid off and then some!  Speaking of my efforts: 

The food.  All about carbs--that's me, and it's A-OK in moderation.  Even though I'd switched to whole grain pasta, rice, and breads, my crazy huge portions were still unhealthy.  

So my first change was to slash my carb portions (45-60 grams daily; max) and up my portions of non-starch veggies (with yummy dressings). I came up with a healthy snack mix* and allow myself two containers a day that count as my daily carb portions. 

*Snack mix: In a very large container combine: 1 box shredded mini-wheats (NOT frosted), 1 box plain Cheerios, 2 (16 oz.) jars unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, 1 or 2 cans French fried onions (optional), your fav non-salt/non-sugar seasonings, (garlic, cinnamon, chili powder, oregano, etc.).  Mix well and divide into 4 ounce smidgie containers. 

The exercise. I'm a disabled writer; you don't get much more sedentary than that.  I used to love literally walking my butt off, BD (Before Disability). A whole lot less vertical now, I devised my own seated exercise plan.  I work out 15 minutes at a time every two hours, four times a day minimum. (I started out with one minute.)  I have more energy, my glucose numbers are down, and I'm dropping a little weight!  Even with physical limitations I'm becoming a lean, mean, normal glucose machine! 

The mindset.  I meditate to approach my life calmly, but necessarily squared off against my unhealthy habits, slowly and methodically destroying them to gain the energy, sense of accomplishment, and peace of mind I now have since conquering my pre-diabetes.  Additional benefits include energy in the afternoons and evenings, less anxiety about future illness, and a 'can do' feeling that's improved my general outlook and mood.   

What will your healthy nudge be?    

 

LINKS FOR ARTICLE
MG/DL MEANING

NORMAL BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS

STOP THE INSANITY BOOK

SUSAN POWTER IN 2010 VIDEO

WEIGHT WATCHERS PORTIONS

BLOOD GLUCOSE MONITORS


GLAD SMIDGIES

2 comments:

  1. What does your seated exercise consist of? Also, what are your views on artificial sweeteners? Did you have any kidney function issues? Do you have any blog posts, past or upcoming, regarding kidney issues in those with diabetes, and some natural remedies to improve or restore kidney function? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the questions, Beverly. My seated exercises are mellow because I am disabled from an auto accident. They consist of lifting my feet, one then the other, off the floor approximately 10-12 inches. I started with one minute sets, doing six sets a day, two hours apart. Now I'm up to 12 minute sets, 6 a day. Like marching in place while seated. I have lower back problems that inhibit my range of motion. There are many upper body workouts one can do seated, though I also have shoulder issues, so my movements are limited. However, I will do a complete article on seated workouts in the near future, since you asked.

      My views on artificial sweeteners are quite negative, especially when it comes to aspartame. I have written articles on aspartame and saccharin that are not complimentary in the least. I personally would rather go without sweets than use artificial sweeteners.

      When I stopped drinking iced tea and lemonade I realized weight came off. I had been taking in calories all day that I could have eliminated had I just drank more water. And my skin got smoother as I got better hydrated-added bonus.

      I will begin researching natural remedies for improving kidney function as soon as I finish this reply. Thank you for pointing me in a researching direction! Keep an eye on this blog for whatever answers I can dig up.

      Thank you for your comments, again, Beverly.

      Delete